04 Oct 2021 #FoodActive2021: Eliminating Weight Stigma – A Call To Action
You are warmly welcomed to the #FoodActive2021 Conference, ‘Eliminating Weight Stigma: A Call to Action’
About this event
Weight stigma continues to be an issue in the UK and is apparent within a range of different settings and services – including journalism, healthcare, schools, the workplace and more. Weight stigma presents a significant barrier for people living with obesity to access services, and creates a false narrative that obesity is solely a result of an individual’s actions, ignoring the impact of the wider determinants that significantly influence health outcomes..
At a time where we are planning to ‘Build Back Fairer & Better’, to reduce inequalities and promote healthy weight environments, putting an end to weight stigma can have huge benefits for both physical and mental health, and support national and local priorities to build more resilient communities.
Over the last 18 months, Food Active has developed materials to support stigma-free communications on obesity, including the resource, ‘Stamping Out Weight Stigma: a checklist for the workforce’ , published on World Obesity Day 2021.
Food Active now invites you to join us for our annual conference on 4th November, that will continue to explore weight stigma and consider this as a significant public health priority, as we seek to reduce levels of overweight and obesity.
The event will consist of presentations, panel debates and Q&A sessions where delegates can pose questions and explore the following:
- The impact of weight stigma and how it manifests itself within different contexts (from education to healthcare)
- Why weight stigma is important in the context of addressing obesity
- What is currently being done at local level to reduce weight stigma
- What can we all do in our roles to help to de-normalise weight stigma and bias
The conference will bring together a wide range of stakeholders, from within local authority departments (including public health, communications teams and children and families services), NHS partners, CVS organisations, schools and health care professionals.
Confirmed speakers to date include:
- Matthew Ashton, Director of Public Health, Liverpool City Council
- Dr Stuart Flint, Associate Professor of the Psychology of Obesity, University of Leeds
- Dr Hannah Brinsden, Head of Policy, World Obesity Federation
- Dr Alison Feeley, Team Leader, Healthy Weight and Obesity, Office for Health Improvement and Disparities
- Dr Oli Williams, THIS Institute Research Fellow, Kings College London
- Professor Paul Baker, Professor of English Language, Lancaster University
- Professor Fiona Gillison, Professor of Health Psychology, University of Bath
- Angela Chesworth, Patient Advocate
- Alfred Slade, Public Affairs Manager, Obesity Health Alliance
- Alison Millbourn, Public Health Manager, Kirklees Council
- Dr Eric Robinson, Reader in Psychology, University of Liverpool
- Professor Sadaf Farooqi, Professor of Metabolism and Medicine, University of Cambridge
- Gemma Holdsworth, Bolton NHS Foundation Trust
- Jill Harrison, Bolton NHS Foundation Trust
- Sarah Le Brocq, Obesity Advocate, Public speaker & Patient Leader
- Claire Kendall, UK Affairs Producer, BBC News
Register for your ticket here!
Check out the #FoodActive2021 Conference Programme here!