04 Nov 2021 The sold-out #FoodActive2021 Conference set to welcome 500 delegates to explore weight stigma
We are looking forward to welcoming 500 delegates to our sold-out annual conference this morning, with the topic this year focusing on weight stigma and discrimination.
‘Eliminating weight stigma: a call to action’ will bring together 500 attendees, representing local authority public health, communications and 0-19 services teams, NHS colleagues, students, community and voluntary organisations, campaign groups and more to discuss how we can eliminate weight stigma.
The conference will feature a range of presentations from experts in the field, hearing powerful stories from those with lived experience of weight stigmatisation and bias and a panel discussion.
We are delighted to welcome a fantastic line up of speakers, including:
- Matthew Ashton, Director of Public Health, Liverpool City Council
- Dr Stuart Flint, Associate Professor of the Psychology of Obesity, University of Leeds
- Dr Hannah Brinsden, Head of Policy, World Obesity Federation
- Dr Alison Feeley, Team Leader, Healthy Weight and Obesity, Office for Health Improvement and Disparities
- Dr Oli Williams, THIS Institute Research Fellow, Kings College London
- Professor Paul Baker, Professor of English Language, Lancaster University
- Professor Fiona Gillison, Professor of Health Psychology, University of Bath
- Angela Chesworth, Patient Advocate
- Alfred Slade, Public Affairs Manager, Obesity Health Alliance
- Alison Millbourn, Public Health Manager, Kirklees Council
- Dr Eric Robinson, Reader in Psychology, University of Liverpool
- Professor Sadaf Farooqi, Professor of Metabolism and Medicine, University of Cambridge
- Gemma Holdsworth, Bolton NHS Foundation Trust
- Jill Harrison, Bolton NHS Foundation Trust
- Sarah Le Brocq, Obesity Advocate, Public speaker & Patient Leader
- Claire Kendall, UK Affairs Producer, BBC News
We will also be launching our very own dedicated resource hub for tools and materials to address weight stigma. The hub will consist of a compilation of Food Active’s own resources, guest blogs and case studies as well as signposting to some other fantastic external resources from the likes of world Obesity Federation, Obesity UK, APPG Obesity, UConn Rudd Centre for Food Policy and Health and more.
The conference will be chaired by our Executive Director, Dr Matthew Philpott, and the panel discussion will be chaired by Obesity Advocate, Public speaker & Patient Leader, Sarah Le Brocq.
Missed out on a ticket? We will be creating an online conference hub after the event including all speaker presentations, a recording of the event and event report so you can get up to speed. We will also be tweeting about the conference throughout the course of the day, using the hashtag #FoodActive2021.
The link to the conference programme can be found below.Check out the #FoodActive2021 Conference Programme here!